Saturday, November 15, 2008

Ferberized!

I haven't talked about it much in my blog, but Gianna has been sleeping like crap since February. Basically, once we got home from our vacation to Puerto Rico, she went from being a so-so sleeper to waking up 2,3,4 sometimes 5 times a night. Because I'm home during the day and I'm still nursing, I would be the one to get up with her 90% of the time. Well, a few weeks ago David had told me he couldn't take it anymore. His sleep was suffering, I was a total crabby pants and always exhausted and Gianna was kinda cranky too. We were all at the end of our ropes.

David did some research and found a book by Dr. Richard Ferber. I know his method is controversial, but the truth is in the pudding. We had one difficult night (actually David did. I slept on the couch because I couldn't do it). Since that night, we put Gianna in her crib AWAKE at bedtime without her CRYING. Some nights she'll wake for a diaper change, but go right back to sleep. On average, she is sleeping 9 to 10 hours at night. She takes a 30 minute nap in the morning and then sleeps almost 2 hours in the afternoon.

It's so nice not to dread bedtime anymore. I truly enjoy putting her to bed now, it's a very sweet time that she and I spend together. Part of me wishes we would have done this a few months ago, but either way I'm very thankful that I have a baby that FINALLY sleeps through the night!!!!